White River Township District
The White River Township Fire Department was formed in 1952 as the Smith Valley Community Center Inc. On April 1, 1955, the members signed an agreement with White River Township to form the Smith Valley Fire Department for a one year term. Then in July of 1956, the members decided to change the name to the White River Township Fire Department.
White River Township Fire Department and Fire Protection District covers 22 square miles. Our district is from the White River on the West from Stones Crossing to County Line Rd east to State Road 135 then south Main Street, East to Community Church of Greenwood, then south along Honey Creek Road to Stones Crossing Road. The Career Firefighters of White River Township Fire Department decided to Unionize in 2003 as the White River Township Professional Firefighters Local 4252 which is part of the International Association of Firefighters. When Greenwood joined with us, we changed the name to the Johnson County Professional Firefighters Assocation Local 4252. This would allow Bargersville Fire Department to join in 2008.